The history of Kilkenny Castle goes back to 1172, when Richard de Clare (Strongbow) built a wooden mound castle on the banks of the Nore. A few years later, William Marshal, the 4th Earl of Pembroke, built a massive castle here, which was completed in 1213. At the end of the 14th century the Butler family bought the castle, which remained in family ownership for almost 600 years before James Arthur Norman Butler sold his family’s headquarters to the town of Kilkenny for £50 in 1967.
Since then the castle has been lovingly restored and can be visited for an entrance fee. Parts of the building from different eras provide variety during a tour. The associated gardens, actually the description park is better, are at the free disposal of the public and are always actively visited.