At the end of the 18th century, Frederick Augustus Hervey, Bishop of Derry and Earl of Bristol, had a magnificent palace built near Downhill. This magnificent building called Hezlett House housed the art collection of the eccentric bishop and often guests attended opulent feasts. After a devastating fire in 1851, all that remained of the splendour were the foundation walls. The ruin has its charm. If one moves from the entrance gate through the large hall and down to the stables, one sees the real highlight of the property – the Mussenden Temple – very close by.