The Allihies Cooper Mines are located on the mountain slopes above the village of Allihies. When in 1813, a quarz vein was discovered in the mountain, numerous copper mines were established and conveyed the precious mineral until 1882. In the early years, mine workers worked their way into the massive mountain with only hammers and chisels. They went deeper than 420 meters into the mountain, up to 280 meters below sea level. The designated Allihies Cooper Mine Trail connects the former mines.